The library has public computers with Internet access. This describes what we have and how to use them.
Basic Computer Rules:
- Patrons accessing the Internet must have a library card in good standing or an approved guest card. All Internet users must be in compliance with the library's Internet Policy. There are 14 Internet computers scattered around the library including two in the Children's Department and two in the reading area. Choose any open computer and sign on using the library card number and the password.
- Patrons are not allowed to install any programs on library computers, bypass security software, or modify files, passwords, or data belonging to others.
- No information can be saved to the hard drive. Patrons must save to a flash drive, or CD-RW prior to the Pharos time limit shutdown or logging off. The computers automatically revert to pre-use configuration whenever log-off occurs.
- Downloading of any music to a CD is expressly forbidden due to copyright law. Violators will lose Internet privileges for a period of six months.
- Library computers cannot be used for watching DVD movies. Private study cubicles and compatible equipment are available for these purposes.
- All Internet access computers have the Microsoft Office Suite available with Publisher.
- Because none of the computers have filters installed, children under 14 years of age must have a parent/guardian's signature on file to use the Internet. Cards for this purpose can be signed at the front desk.
- All print jobs will be routed through the front desk to the network printers.
- Charges are $.20 per page for black & white printing and $1.00 per page for color prints.
- Patrons are not allowed to use headphones as a speaker lying on the computer table.
- Patrons are allowed to bring their own headphones for sanitary reasons. Library headphones will be cleaned by library staff between uses as often as deemed necessary or at the request of a patron.
- All computers will accept flash drives or CDs.
- Digital cameras may be attached to computers as long as hardware and software are compatible and photos are not copyright-protected. Photo CDs will be allowed under the same rules.
- During peak use time, from 1 PM to 5 PM, Pharos time-management software allows only 1 hour of computer use. Please refer to the Pharos Policy for more details.
- Priority will be given to those conducting research and patrons that have not had previous computer time that day whenever computer use is heavy.
- If at least 2 other computers are available for use, patrons may request additional time.
- Children aged 5 - 12 may use the game computer in the children's dept. Children under 5 years of age may use the computer if accompanied by a parent.
- Children age 8 through adult may use the game computer in the young adult area.
- There is a maximum time limit of 3 hours unless others are waiting to use the game computers. Then the time limit is 1/2 hour of use.
- Only library-owned and approved games will be available on the game computers.
- No more than 3 people may use a game computer at one time.