Need Genealogical Help?
You can get the help you need from two different sources at Spencer Public Library. If you can't come to the library, the staff will answer simple reference questions by mail at a cost of $5.00 plus 20 cents per copied page (black print only). For example, the staff will try to find an obituary of a Spencer or Clay county, Iowa, resident if you supply the exact date of death. Please provide your name and address by email or contact us so we can notify you of the total charges when we have answered your inquiry: Email: Spencer Public Library. If you need more genealogical research done, please contact Iowa Lakes Genealogical Society below.
Resources at Spencer Library
- Charlotte Brett Genealogy Collection: Contains over 3500 books, magazines and pamphlets
- Spencer newspapers on microfilm from 1880 to the present
- Federal census microfilms for Clay, Buena Vista, Cherokee, Dickinson, Emmet, O'Brien, Osceola, Palo Alto, and Pocahontas counties from 1840 to 1920
- State census microfilms for these counties from 1895, 1915 and 1925
- Vital records on microfilm from Clay, Dickinson, O'Brien and Osceola counties
Independent Local Research Services
The charge is $10/hour to do family research for you. Please email one of the individual listed below with the name of the ancestor, dates, relatives or occupation to help us narrow the search. Be sure to include your own name, address, email or other contact information.
They will also be glad to help you do research at the Spencer Library by appointment. The following individuals can help you depending on their schedule. Please contact one of them to set up an appointment:
Ron Reisinger (May - September)
- 414 8th Street
- Spirit Lake, IA 51360
- Phone: 712-336-6543
- Email: Ron Reisinger
- 207 E. 21st Street
- Spencer, IA 51301
- Email: Sharon Hesebeck